Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Our Young Man is 12

February 14th came in with a "loud bang" this year when Zach turned 12. There was one thing and one thing only that the boy wanted for his birthday. He was willing to sacrifice the number of gifts to get his hearts desire.....

The crew. Nice cheesy grin from the wee one.


This is the "cake" Zach always requests.... Grandma Gwen's lemonade dessert. It gives him great delight.


Isaac sharing some birthday love with his brother. Zach's fairly tolerant.


My parents were in town visiting and Mom ( and I) felt badly that he wouldn't have "gifts" to open birthday morning (as his gift was to arrive a couple days late) so we found him some cheap shirts that screamed Zach to us.


He loves to draw the bones in the body and he loves music so this was a hit!


So here is the coveted gift. Yes indeed I have totally lost my mind. First I consented to a big black dog living in my house. As if 5 kids and a dog cannot sustain an impressive enough decibel level, I willingly invited these babies into our home. What a mama won't do for her kids! This smile is worth all the expense I will invest in Ibuprofen for the next 6 yrs.


"Oh yeah!" He didn't even care that it wasn't there just yet. He was pumped regardless. We do have it now. I just need to take the camera down stairs and get him in action. It is worth the investment when I see him practicing, feeling it in his bones.



One really funny moment was when Scott and I were putting shelves in the girls room the other day next door in the girls room and overheard Isaac telling Zach jokes. As he would finish Zach would give his, "bu-dum-bump-tsh." What an act. Before I know it they will want to take their act on the road. They are just so bloomin funny!

Zach at 12:

1. An artist
2. A musician
3. Ultra laid back
4. A hard worker
5. A studier of people
6. Sleeps like a ROCK
7. Lives for one on one time
8. Can see a 2yr old and tells me, "Mom she was so adorable" (great dad in the making!)
9. Has a huge heart of compassion for the less fortunate
10. Is almost "worshiped" by his little brothers
11. Desperately wants a lawn mower so he can make money this summer
12. Has persevered through some struggles only to be made more firm in who God has made
him to be.......great contentment
13. Loves learning to hunt
14. Just like his dad, he loves to fix broken things
15. So creative, he will invent something someday


We love this kid, so deeply, and can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for his life!

Happy Birthday to the best Valentines gift your we have ever received. You are wonderfully made.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Zach!

Next year, I think you should buy all your children IOWA STATE shirts for their respective birthdays. Sheesh....the lows people will go to, just to fit in....

steve, steph, emma and bree said...

i always thought you were a little crazy, but now i know for sure!!! can't wait to see a video of the young rockstar in action!!! happy birthday zach ( a little late)!!

Laura said...

We are THIS close to getting Jackson a drumset. He LOVES to play and I think I just need to accept that I will be hearing loudness for the next 6-8 years (at least). And in answer to your question..yes, I think we've both lost our minds...or will very, very, very soon. Let me know how it goes :)

codi said...

I can't believe he's 12 already! I walked by Zach and Hannah at church the other day, and was amazed at how they suddenly (to me)seem so grown up, not to mention gorgeous. You and Scott sure make beautiful children!

Carrie Sterner said...

So far Laura, everything is going well. When we finished the basement we purposely insulated the ceiling and that seems to provide a great buffer.

What I really love is seeing him really learning and enjoying it! No regrets yet. :)

Carrie Sterner said...

Thanks Codi, God is a great artist indeed! The canvas for your children is equally masterfully done!

Don't blink, before you know it will be Gabe who is 12 and Josie who is wearing eye liner. Yikes! Hold on. :)