The first question posed to the kids was how "fast" dances were handled. I was very please to hear that the girls all dance in circles with their friends while the boys come and dance around them on the outside. Zach made it clear that you were NOT to look them in the eye and Hannah clarified also that boys definitely don't enter the girl circle unless, "you think you are all that."
The probing question in my mind was that of the "slow" dance. It was best explained by example (willingly on the part of my kids....they crack me up!). I was able to sneak the in first picture. What cannot be seen here because I was stealthy but not quick, is that Scott is holding a tape measure. He told them he needed to know the exact distance.
I must say that I was pleased to see "soldier-like" dancing still does take place. They did say there were a few couples who left no distance but that that was rare and nothing they took part in. Praise Jesus!

They were both good sports but did see the ridiculousness of their dad's tactics. I loved it!

Jr. High years are not without their fair share of drama but I must admit, I totally love it!

7 comments:
Thanks for the laugh! (I really needed one today!) Brings back memories doesn't it Carrie of our Jr. High days? What is the actual distance the Sterners hold for their rule? I love it! You are great parents and it is great to just be able to share and talk. I think it will be a long time before Rachel ever sees any value in that type of dancing. Love you all to pieces.
Kristi
Seriously, that's got to be one of the funniest pictures ever! I love the look they're BOTH giving to Scott! :D
That really is great. Way to document it. Those will be AWESOME senior slideshow pics.
So encouraging to hear that you totally love that stage! Freaks me out :) Love how involved you guys are in understanding junior high culture!!!!
I still am working on who she danced with. The best part was that they had to turn on the lights since someone got punched during the dance. Even better for slow dancing!
I think the tape measure is a fantastic idea...my parents should have used it on me. I may or may not have been reminded by my school principle (in junior high) to respect the "slow dance distance" at a junior high dance. Let me just state that it was my dancing partner's fault, not mine, and I was glad to get away:) You guys are wonderful parents. Loved the pics! Love you all, too!
We, too, just had our first Jr. High dance. I survived. Barely. "We" did not do any slow dancing, but supposedly there was some "Thriller" dancing going on. I think I may need to chaperone the next one, so I can be a fly on the wall!
Post a Comment