Saturday, August 9, 2008

Vaction--Sterner Side

Time for a recap of the time spent with the Sterner side of the family. As I revisit the photos we took I came to realize that we did not do a great job at capturing everyone equally in the photos. Keep in mind then that there is no partiality based upon the number of times one does or does not appear in the shots.

Here are some of the kids with cousin Korrie out on their acreage. Fun on the "farm"involves a dip in an animal watering receptacle. Who needs a real pool!


Aunt Brenda is a jack of all trades and had once again used her creative genius to make her own enormous slip-n-slide. Here Elizabeth takes a flying leap.


Korrie fights hard to keep gravity from winning the tug-o-war challenge to pull her over onto the grass.


Apparently Hannah lost this battle.


Love taking water shots!



I mentioned in a previous post that there was a cargo story to be told. Here is how it all played out. We were packing up to head to a water park in a neighboring community with our 7 kids, 5 Sterners, 2 Cederbergs. With 10 people, two vehicles were needed. Riding assignments were made, supplies packed, children buckled, adults in, and off we went. We had gotten 4-5 blocks away when the phone rings. We missed it and were in the process of redialing Scott's mom when we see Scott's sister turning around. She motioned us up along side of her. When we pulled up beside her she said that she got a call from headquarters (home). Thinking she would be funny she said, "did we forget someone?" The reply that followed was, "yes!"

My heart sank when I heard that poor Isaac had been inadvertently left behind. We find this a little funny because he has on more than one occasion been told that he looks like the boy from the "Home Alone" movies. I digress.

As a mom my first concern went straight to his feelings, was he crying? The sick feeling stayed with me until we pulled into the drive way. Mom Sterner had attempted to "cover" for us by telling the slightly saddened boy that contrary to what Grandpa said they hadn't exactly "forgotten" him but were "just down the street" and would be right there. Such a good recovery, or so I thought.

I quickly ran up the stairs and Isaac saunters out of the house. I just wanted to pull him in my arms and love on him a bit, probably just as much for my conscience as for his heart. To my surprise he was not sad, not especially loving either as he moved toward the van and simply turned and said to me, "first you forget Zach, now me." I guess he has been a part of a big family for long enough to know that you can't sweat the small stuff. At our house the unexpected often happens regardless of how much planning goes into something. So much for a loving reunion. Off to have some fun!

In order to redeem myself I must first explain that the riding assignments were made and everyone who was supposed to be in my car, was there. I did my head count as I so frequently do because I don't want to give Child Protective Services any business. I had assumed that the same was true in the other vehicle. When will I learn I should NEVER assume. Besides who would have thought that anyone getting to go to a water park would have gotten distracted by a book in a back bedroom with all the commotion it takes for us to get anywhere. It may have something to do with the fact that moving us out of the house takes a small act of congress and is less efficient than I would like to be. More than likely, Isaac just got tired of waiting and quietly busied himself until he realized that it was much to quiet in the house. That is never normal either.

As a side note, Zach was not "exactly" forgotten, not like it sounds. This summer when our church was beginning to be crowded by the ensuing flood waters we were at the facility sandbagging. As stormy weather encroached upon us Scott told us to head home. I went. I got about 5 miles down the road I realized I didn't have Zach with us. He had went off with a friend in search of fish in shallow waters. So, I did inadvertently leave him behind but he was, after all, at the church, God's house, with his father. Now is that so bad? We will leave that one out for the jury.

The Z-man .


Korrie trying to help Isaac stay afloat, not an easy task.


Can you say "cheesy" grin?


Hannah banana!


Having fun in the wave pool.


Ok, I know this is an abundance of Aaron pictures but Scott was messing around with the camera and got some really cool water shots. What is more fun than summer colors and water to make a good photo.








As proof that there are more people in his family here is a random shot of Scott's sister and her husband. Say cheese!

2 comments:

emily said...

looks like you had a great time, (except for the "forgetting" Isaac part) The slip n' slide looks painful. Maybe it's because I'm getting old. :)

Jenna said...

I love the water shots! Makes me jealous - I miss having a pool!