Friday, November 21, 2008

Flashback Friday--Longest post ever.

Back in October our church had a family camp that we attended for the second year in a row. It is a great opportunity to pull away and spend some time away from normal life and simply have fun together. This year we all go to try the camp's zip line. This is quite the experience and for all of you who are afraid of heights this will get your heart rate rising.

I will start with Aaron because the type "A" person in me must stay in chronological order. Here is Aaron climbing the ladder. I must say that it was a little unnerving for me watching my babies do this. As you can see there is a harness attached to them as they ascend that is attached to a man standing on the ground. If they do miss step I know they won't come plummeting to the ground but still we are humans who are not by nature intended to climb like a spider or fly like a bird.

Love the expression on his face. Contemplative.


What do you think, maybe some second thoughts? I did lure him, I mean ask him, if he wanted to come back down but because some of his siblings had already gone he was not to be outdone.


Up, up, up. Poor kids could JUST reach the rungs at this point. I stood close by (not like I could catch him but made me feel like I was doing the right thing).


Made it to the very nice gentleman who harnesses you in for the short ride of your life.


Ready to go but still looks uncertain. I really did think he was going to back out.


Before I let you see him jump this should give you perspective as to what he is undertaking. No, don't call DHS.


Check out the face!


Didn't manage to get a good shot but he did smile when it was all said and done with and said he had fun.


Isaac had actually went before Aaron so this shot was earlier but I had to post it because Isaac looks as though he is sizing things up. Honestly, I was doing the same thing at this point. First I was asking myself if this was the stupidest thing I had ever allowed and secondly, could this child actually pull himself up the length of this long pole?


And he is off, biting his lip with determination.


Almost there......


Immediate and extreme delight for this one!





Zach was next on the list.


He shimmies up quickly and in no time is harnessed in.


No fear for this young man. It was nothing but fun for him. What jr. high boy doesn't want to take his life into his own hands and try to defy laws of things like gravity.





Hannah is up (actually she went first). Another shot to let you know how stinkin high this thing is. Notice where her hands are.


Hands haven't moved although the guy has.


After you take your leap you glide gently into trees where the wire rises and you slowly descend back to the middle low ground.





It is here where a nice young man detaches you. I am now wondering if that nice young man should be so up close and personal with my teenage daughter. Hmmmm.


Thanks to my dear hubs there is proof that I gave in to peer pressure. I am not a huge fan of challenging my grace with natural forces like "what goes up, must come down" but I wasn't going to wimp out. Don't you love the hat?


At this point I am beginning to doubt my earlier bravery. It was high up and windy.


I stood there for a bit before I took the plunge. I seriously doubted any common sense I had at this point. Who was I, a woman nearing 40 with 5 kids, what business did I have behaving so immaturely.


Whew. Once the first step was done it was nothing but fun. Glad I didn't chicken out on this one.


Gotta love it when two guys can be so trusting.


Scott was last and do you see that somehow he managed to get off not wearing the little "hard hat?" There seems to be no logic in this. I need him! He should be protecting himself for us!


Love this one.





Bottom line, we all had a great time and will likely do it again next year. Thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Mullikin for making this possible for us.

Where is Elizabeth you may be asking. Well, she said yes initially to the fun and excitement but logic won over peer pressure. So here is Elizabeth enjoying one of the other activities we took in that weekend. She was much happier being a fish instead of a bird. Don't blame her.

5 comments:

Vitamin Z said...

I can't believe that rope actually held Scott. Wow.

z

Andrea G. said...

You go mama! Wow! You just convinced me to never go to Hidden Acres so that I don't have to say no when David asks mommy to go too!

Anonymous said...

Those are GREAT pictures!! I especially love the ones of you and Scott on the line tho! :D

Miss Mommy said...

I do love those pics and you look great!! However, I must say that there seemed to be no chronology whatsoever to me until I realized you went from youngest to oldest- I imagined who actually went first, then oldest to youngest...so funny!

THE BROWN BOYS said...

Wow! I can't believe you were all so brave! I would have been swimming with Elizabeth. Scott cracks me up in that one picture! Those are the kinds of memories and bonding that your kids will always remember.