Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Boldness

In this day of cell phones, texting not only is a means with which to dialog but functions somewhat like email. Who knew you can get "forwards" on a cell phone! Hannah gets a fair amount of these and usually they are on the topic of friendship, foods you like, etc. When you receive them you are supposed to forward them on.

Sunday the "forward" was heaven sent, so to speak. I was down in the girl's room when Hannah walked in, head down, cell phone in hand. This is a common position with which to find her but this time there was something different. Hannah's eyes were filled to the brim with tears.

As she spoke to me the tears spilled over and her voice cracked. The words that proceeded seemed to pierce her heart further (and mine as well) as if hearing it out loud made it that much more real. The forward pictured a headstone and on it was her friend's name, birth date, and the current date. It then went on to ask what you wish you would have said/done if this were true. Fighting tears myself I asked what she typed back, knowing how much she loves this friend. Without hesitation she had already sent this message, "I would cry and grieve for many days and wish I would have led you to Christ sooner." By this point we were both crying.

Hannah humbled me as she boldly and lovingly conveyed what is woven into the fabric of her being. Jesus Saves. She did not stop and think of the ramifications. She did not panic thinking, "what have I just done?" No. She wants to see her friends in heaven and realizes the responsibility we have to do more than just be "different" but instead to actually share our saving faith in Christ Jesus.

The dialog that proceeded (as Elizabeth lay listening intently) was precious. God beautifully orchestrated such a sweet time of sharing and teaching. I am praying now for her opportunity to follow up with this. May we all live with this kind of urgency, conviction, and boldness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am teary eyed too. May God use the words Hannah shares for His glory.

Anonymous said...

She will make a difference for the Kingdom. Jboats

knielsen said...

I have tears in my eyes as well! Thanks for sharing Carrie. And thank you Hannah for your sweet and gentle spirit and for realizing at such a young age that giving God glory and pointing to Him is also how you most deeply love your friends! I pray that God uses your love and your words to reach your friend.

Miss Mommy said...

Another awesome moment you 2 have had.