Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Hannah Turns 12

Hannah is one year away from being an official teenager, yikes! So, we celebrate this, her 12th year of life. She is not a big cake fan so I made a strawberry swirl cake (she is a fruit nut) and she loved it.




This next series of pictures deserves to be seen as a video but because I am technologically challenged the written story will have to suffice. Hannah had been asking for a cell phone for a long time. We had set her up to believe that maybe next semester she would get one if she could get all "A's" on her report card. Needless to say she had no idea what was coming. She began by opening her card which had to be read out loud.

Her creative dad wrote a poem the poem and it went like this:

Your parents they love you--That's a matter of fact.
When you sing, when you play---and even when you act.

You're growing so tall---it makes us so sad.
We're sad because soon---you'll be taller than Dad.

The colors of your clothes---they often do clash.
But that's what's in style--so you say in a flash.

You're getting so old--so mature and so cool
The girls they love calling---the boys, how they drool

This package is for you--on your birthday
It will keep you from trouble--while out on your way.

On the numbers you'll press---all the tones you will try
That's why on this day--you'll be so surprised

Now Scott had it timed out so the doubly wrapped present would ring when she got to the second to last stanza. The picture is a little blurry but you will see the look of shock she flashed us all as her dad hushed the siblings in order for her to hear the phone ringing.


She was so pumped as you can tell. Her smile simply cannot get any bigger without doing irreparable damage to her beautiful young face. This is truly a birthday she will never forget. It ranks right up there with one of my favorites. There is sheer delight for a parent to bless and surprise their child with something the love. And just for the record, the joy it brings her also brings comfort and reassurance to her mom as she is growing up and flying solo more and more. I guess you could say there is dual motivation. :)



Still wearing the perma-smile.


More birthday presents from the Sterner grandparents.


Hannah was in a skit for Family Connection which is our family ministry at church this weekend of her birthday. It was fun for Grandpa and Grandma Bennett to get to see her.


One last shot of Hannah fishing out at the Boatmans where there is a sure catch almost every cast. Look out fish here comes Hannah!

From here I must simply say that Hannah is growing into such a beautiful young lady, in body, in character, and in her faith. I am so proud to call her our daughter. To know her really is to love her.

Happy Birthday my dear. You bring joy and smiles to everyone who has the privilege of knowing you. We love you,
Dad and Mom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To know her IS to love her. Happy belated birthday!

Miss Mommy said...

I love this post! I hope you print and save it for her!

Anonymous said...

The Escondido Lady says:
Happy Birthday Hannah! I hope you have many more to celebrate.

I enjoyed seeing the photos of your birthday. Hannah: I was just as excited as you when on September 1 I got my own cell phone. I liked learning how to use the camera that is attached inside it. I put so many names, addresses and e-mail addresses. It was fun!

Carrie: Is Hannah's phone a prepaid phone or part of a family plan? Mine costs $39.99 per month and has 600 anytime minutes and free minutes after 9 p.m. Pacific time during the weekday and free minutes on weekends. It has worked out so well.

I enjoy reading your blog site.

Anonymous said...

The Escondido lady doesn't know how to spell Escondio....I left out a d in the name....

AGAIN; HOW TO DO YOU SPELL WHERE YOU LIVE? E S C O N D I D O

Ohe well, I think you know who she is.